Chichester City Council has a long history with the first known Mayor of Chichester being Emery de Rouen in 1239. Other than a series of Charters there are no records of its early years, although it is known to have met in a wooden building in the middle of North Street near the present day Butter Market. In 1685 a new Charter was granted by James II and Minute Books exist from that date. At that time the Council was a 'closed' Corporation with two new members being nominated each year by the Mayor. In 1836 an elected Council was established with a third of the Council being elected each year. In 1974 with local government re-organisation the Council lost many of its powers but under the terms of a new Charter retained the Mayoralty and title of Chichester City Council.
The City Council's Coat of Arms was granted by Royal Patent in 1570. The Coat of Arms is officially... read more»
The Market Cross stands at the centre of Chichester and is believed to have been built in 1501. Bishop... read more»
The Council House in North Street, Chichester is a group of connected buildings built at different times between 1731... read more»