The War Memorial was originally in Eastgate Square and was only moved to the present location in Litten Gardens in 1940. In 1921 the Memorial was unveiled by Sir William Robertson who was one of Field Marshal Douglas Haig's Senior Staff. Sir William, who came from a humble background, joined the Army at the age of 16 as a boy soldier and is one of the few people to rise from the rank of Private to Field Marshal.
In the last few years the City Council has been responsible for adding the names of those who fell in the Second World War as the Memorial showed only the names of the First World War dead. This action has been greatly appreciated by relatives and the ex-servicemen and women.
Each year on Remembrance Sunday, the Mayor and City Councillors along with the Chairmen of Chichester District and West Sussex County Councils process to the War Memorial to attend a short Remembrance Sunday Service and to observe the two minutes' silence.