Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to right sidebar Skip to footer

NHS Vaccination update – 28 January 2021

Covid-19 vaccination programme
West Sussex daily update
28 January 2021

Latest updates

Housebound residents will be vaccinated

People who eligible and are considered housebound across Sussex have been assured they will receive their vaccination before mid-February.

The NHS is on course to vaccinate the top four priority groups by the middle of next month, in line with the national target. This includes those in the priority groups who are considered housebound. As of 24 January, over 200,000 vaccinations had been given across Sussex, with 73% of all those over the age of 80 being vaccinated.

There are a number of ways people in the top four priority groups are being vaccinated. For most people who are eligible, they are being contacted by their local GP-led vaccination service to have a vaccination or they can go to a large vaccination centre if they prefer. The large vaccination centre in Sussex is at the Brighton Centre but people can book an appointment at other large centres in other counties if they wish through the national booking system. Heath and care staff are receiving the vaccination at hospital hubs and the Brighton Centre.

For those residents who are in care homes and for those considered housebound, there is a ‘roving’ service, which involves the vaccination being taken into people’s place of residence to be vaccinated.
This is being done by a combination of either the GP-led vaccination services or Sussex Community Foundation NHS Trust.

The roving service has been focused on vaccinating care homes for older people and have successfully covered 90% of care homes across Sussex. The remaining 10% were unable to be vaccinated due to outbreaks of COVID-19 and will be revisited after 28 days, in line with infection control guidance.

Health and care workers on track for jab by mid-February

In Sussex, we are on course to vaccinate the top four priority groups by mid-February, in line with the national target. This includes the 120,000 health, social care and other care workers across the system.

To date, over 60,000 NHS, social care, and other health care staff have been vaccinated in Sussex. With more sites and vaccine supplies now available, this number will continue to rise rapidly in the coming weeks.

The government’s ‘Green Book’ chapter on COVID-19 (from page 11) identifies the long list of health and care staff that are currently eligible for vaccination.

See the Green Book chapter on COVID-19

Latest vaccination data published

NHS England now publishes vaccination data, broken down to a Sussex-wide level, every week.

The latest published data covers the period up until 24 January and since this date we have accelerated the number of people we have been able to vaccinate across the priority groups and opened the new large scale vaccination centre at the Brighton Centre. Preliminary data today shows that we have now vaccinated over 210,000 people across Sussex.

Due to the relatively large number of people who are over 80 living in Sussex, we recognise it will take us longer than in some other parts of the country to vaccinate this priority group in particular. However, we are on track to have vaccinated the first four priority cohorts by 15 February.

See the latest data on the NHS England website

Stakeholder briefing

The latest stakeholder briefing for this area can be downloaded here.

Stakeholder briefings are issued every Tuesday and Thursday to provide an update on the COVID-19 response across the local NHS system, in particular the vaccination programme. They include the latest information on the number and location of vaccination services in the local area.

More information

Much more information about the vaccination programme is available on our website, including details of the services available in each arealatest datastakeholder briefings, answers to frequently asked questions and links to all the national leaflets and materials.

Thank you for your support in helping to keep our local communities updated and informed about this fast-moving and unprecedented vaccination programme.

Find more information about the Sussex COVID-19 vaccination programme

Skip to content