Chichester City Council Website Accessibility Statement
You can also download a PDF version of this here: Chichester City Council Website Accessibility Statement – July 2022
Accessibility statement for chichestercity.gov.uk
Chichester City Council is committed to ensuring that anyone who needs to use our website can do so easily. We continually review and develop the website to make it as accessible as possible.
This accessibility statement applies to the Chichester City Council website:
The website aims to meet the standards defined by the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 issued by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) and Chichester City Council is committed to making our website accessible in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’).
If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Accessibility of our website.
- wherever possible we have kept text simple, avoiding jargon. if there is anything you do not understand please contact us or your ward councillor
- use image description tags which are reader compatible
- zoom up to 300% on desktop or device
- that the ‘CTRL + + key increases the size of screen
- that the ‘CTRL + – key decreases the size of screen
- if you are unable to read the location map please contact us by telephone for directions
- if you are unable to operate any of the accessibility functions detailed in this document then please inform us so we can resolve this for you
You can also try the inbuilt accessibility tools by clicking this icon at the side of the page or navigating to the Accessibility Tools plugin built in to the website:
We’ve included some links below from AbilityNet on how you can change your browser settings to suit your needs.
- make your mouse easier to use
- use your keyboard instead of a mouse
- talk to your device
- make your device talk to you
- make text larger
- change your colours
- magnify the screen
We are working to:
- ensure the screen design uses colours that enable words to be read easily
- that graphics have an alt description tag which explains what the picture is all about
- If you’d like to view this website in another language, or simply translate a section of content that you don’t understand, you can use an online translation plug-in such as Google Translate (available from ‘chrome web store‘).
- Any content that is not within the scope of the accessibility regulations (web content accessibility guidelines) due to the age and compatibility of the document can be provided on request. We are now working with latest versions.
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
Chichester City Council is committed to making its website accessible in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard due to the non-compliances listed below.
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible and are working to rectify this as soon as possible. However, some website features are currently hosted by third parties which may make rectifying accessibility issues more difficult.
Known issues include:
- Embedded videos are not picked up during a screen read in all cases
- Videos are streamed from Youtube and the standard Youtube controls are available
- All Chichester City Council created videos include full audio and subtitles
- Embedded documents are not picked up during a screen read in all cases
- Council and Committee calendar – embedded from Google Docs – scans correctly once selected for reading
- Councillor attendance – embedded from Google Docs – large and complex spreadsheet does not read in a usable way. If you would like information from this source, please contact us (details below).
- Contact form – embedded from Microsoft Forms – Microsoft immersive reader available once the form has been navigated to
- Location map – embedded from Google Maps– please contact us (details below) if you require assistance.
- Some PDFs are not readable by screen readers due to the nature of the content. This includes scanned documents that are not available in original electronic form for distribution and are mainly meeting support papers. Where possible, the original is scanned with Optical Character Recognition (OCR) active but some source materials are not suitable for this. Please contact us (details below) for further assistance.
How we tested this website
Testing of the website is ongoing using tools such as the WAVE, Site Improve and Accessibility Insights browser extensions.
Testing is undertaken in house as well as by our web hosts, VOXIT. We also use an external Visual Impairment IT training specialist for third party support.
Contacting us by phone or visiting us in person
If you have any feedback, require any of our documents in a different format or wish to report accessibility issues, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Details are as follows:
- Online through our contact form: https://chichestercity.gov.uk/contact/
- Email us at: email@example.com
- Telephone us: 01243 788502.
- Write to or visit us at: Chichester City Council, The Council House, North Street, Chichester, PO19 1LQ
Our reception desk has a hearing loop for visitors to the building.
Chichester City Council – July 2022