In 2020, Chichester City Council created a new Covid-19 Civic award to acknowledge the contribution of individuals, groups and organisations towards the well being of the people and City of Chichester during the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
It was intended to recognise those individuals, groups and organisations who had gone above and beyond to ensure that friends and neighbours were supported and cared for, vulnerable people were looked after and life continued during these difficult times.
Nominations were sought from members of public with decisions being made by the Members of the City Council in August 2021.
The Awards were presented by the Mayor and Mayoress of Chichester, Councillors John and Cherry Hughes, at a specially arranged event called Over the Rainbow that was held in Priory Park on 30 September 2021.
The Award recipients were:
- Marjory Greig – St Richards volunteer retired microbiologist
- Susie Jerwood – Senior microbiologist at St Richard’s
- Adam Hewitt – 24 year old doctor son of Phil Hewitt working in intensive care
- Ash Pal – Chairman of Chichester Community Network
- Clare de Bathe – Mayor’s Hard ship Fund Administration
- Ruth Taunt – Mayor’s Hard ship Fund Verification
- Lynne and Bruce Brechin – Mayor’s Hard ship Fund . Mask production and fund raising
- Chris Spink – Helping the homeless
- O’Hagan’s Sausages – Supplying sausages for St Pancras breakfast for homeless
- Debbie Carter – Special help in her Ward despite vision disability
- Farley Glue – Baby born during lockdown
- Martin Hopkins – Carer for Parents and also shielded
- Linda Hicks – Mayor’s Hard ship Fund helped friend then needed help herself
- Matine Carver – Helping others then needed help herself
- Satoko Suzuki – Nurse transferred to Covid., Scammed; had parking fine whilst at bank
- Paula Chatfield – Work with the Parklands community
- Liz Woodsell – UK Harvest
- Greg Slay – West Sussex County Council hub
- Joanne Kondabeka – Foodbank
- Matthew O’Shea – Work in the community
- Joyce Loten – Distribution of excess food to the needy
- Nick Sutherland – Supplying hot meals from his restaurant
- Declan Moody – Senior Community Warden
- Piers Taylor – Community Safety Manager
- Sarah Hughes – Seconded from her role to organise, cook and deliver meals for rough sleepers
- Gina Jelley – Travelodge homeless accommodation
- CCS Team, Chichester District Council – Group award for not missing a collection of household rubbish
The Award nominations are currently closed.
The original intention was that the Awards would be a one off event and no decision has been taken at this time about a second round of Awards.
If you have any questions, please contact Chichester City Council using the contact form on this website, by emailing email@example.com
Alternatively, you can find the address and telephone number at the bottom of this page.