Agenda – Full Council – 14 December 2022
Below is the agenda for the meeting of Full Council taking place on 14 December 2022.
You can also download a PDF copy of the agenda here: Agenda – Full Council – 14 December 2022
Supporting papers for this meeting are only available in PDF format. Please use the links below to download
- Full Council – 14 December 2022 – Agenda item 4 – Mayor’s announcements
- Full Council – 14 December 2022 – Agenda item 10 – Vacancy in Chichester City (Parish) North Ward report
- Full Council – 14 December 2022 – Agenda item 13 – Ward report – Chichester West – Councillor Quail
- Full Council – 14 December 2022 – Agenda item 14 – Ward reports – County and District – Councillor Sharp
- Full Council – 14 December 2022 – Agenda item 14 – Ward report – County – Councillor Oakley
Chichester City Council
MEETING OF THE CITY COUNCIL
TO THE MEMBERS OF THE CITY COUNCIL
MEMBERS ARE HEREBY SUMMONED TO ATTEND A MEETING OF THE COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF CHICHESTER TO BE HELD AT 2.00PM ON WEDNESDAY 14 DECEMBER 2022 IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBER, THE COUNCIL HOUSE, NORTH STREET, CHICHESTER
6 December 2022
Prayers will be said by the Mayor’s Chaplain, Bruno Kondabeka,
for those who wish to participate
1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
To receive and approve apologies and reasons for absence from members of the Council.
2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST BY MEMBERS OF THE CITY COUNCIL IN MATTERS ON THE AGENDA FOR THIS MEETING
3. MINUTES OF COUNCIL
To approve and sign as a correct record the minutes of the Meeting of Council held on the 28 September 2022 (pages 77 to 85), the meeting of Council-in-Committee (Annual Awards) held on the 12 October 2022 (pages 90 to 92) and the Special Meeting of Council held on the 24 October 2022 (pages 102 and 103).
4. MAYOR’S ANNOUNCEMENTS
5. PUBLIC QUESTIONS
To answer questions (if any) from members of the public being residents of the City pursuant to Appendix 1 of Chichester City Council’s Standing Orders (September 2020).
6. DISCRETIONARY GRANTS – TO NOTE THAT THESE HAVE ALREADY BEEN PAID TO ORGANISATIONS
- 12th Chichester Scout Group – £500
- Chichester Men’s Shed – £500
- Chichester Symphony Orchestra – £500
- Priory Park Society – £500
- Rotary Club of Chichester Harbour – £500
- West Sussex Mediation Service – £500
- Chichester Information Shop for Young People – £2,000
- Children’s Bookfest, Chichester – £1,360
- Friends of Centurion Way – £2,500
- Pregnancy Options Centre – £2,000
- Terry’s Place – £1,819
- West Sussex Scout Council – £1,500
7. MINUTES OF COMMITTEES
a) Community Affairs Committee
3 October 2022 – Special Meeting (Grants) (pages 86 to 89)
14 November 2022 (pages 110 to 118)
b) Planning and Conservation Committee
13 October 2022 (pages 93 to 97)
10 November 2022 (pages 104 – 109)
c) Finance Committee
13 October 2022 – Special Meeting (page 98)
18 October 2022 (pages 99 to 101)
21 November 2022 (pages 119 to 126)
12 October 2022
7 November 2022
To consider the following recommendations:
City Council budget 2023/2024 – Minute 83 (21 November 2022) refers
After a short further debate, it was RECOMMENDED to Full Council on Wednesday 14 December 2022 that the City Council’s budget for 2023-2024 be agreed providing the tax base remains unchanged from the draft figure, supplied by Chichester District Council, of 11,990.60; with this budget being £907,265, resulting in a precept demand of £769,615 and a band D precept of £64.18, an increase of 0.17%.
POST MEETING NOTE FOR RATIFICATION AT COUNCIL ON 14 DECEMBER 2022:
Further to the Finance Committee’s decision to remove from the City Council’s core budget the proposed £2,000 per annum funding for VAAC; the recommendation from the Committee is modified to propose that the budget for 2023-2024 be £907,265 with a precept demand of £767,615 and a band D precept of £64.02, a decrease of 0.081%.
Ownership of the Murray statue – Minute 84a (21 November 2022) refers
It was then RECOMMENDED to Full Council on Wednesday 14 December 2022 that the City Council proceed with transferring ownership of the Murray statue from the Murray Club to the City Council, noting that the resin statute would be transferred to the National Museum of the Royal Navy in Portsmouth when the final bronze casting was installed outside the Council House.
8. NEIGHBOURHOOD PLAN WORKING GROUP
To select a new City Council representative for the Chichester Neighbourhood Plan Working Group (Planning and Conservation Committee meeting, 10 November 2022, minute 95 refers)
9. SPEYER TWINNING LINK
The Mayor to report.
10. VACANCY IN CHICHESTER CITY (PARISH) NORTH WARD
Town Clerk to report (Report attached)
11. RECRUITMENT OF TOWN CLERK
The Interview Panel appointed by the Personnel Sub-Committee interviewed six candidates on 30 November and 1 December 2022.
It was agreed to offer the job to Sam (Samantha) Tate who is currently the Clerk of the East Wittering and Bracklesham Parish Council.
Sam has previously worked for Selsey Town Council, West Sussex County Council and the private sector. She is suitably qualified to enable the City Council to pass at the Annual Meeting of the Council in May 2023, the necessary resolution to exercise the General Power of Competence.
This job offer is subject to (a) ratification by the City Council and (b) satisfactory references being received (these are being obtained)
A start date and handover has yet to be arranged, but is likely to be in late March 2023.
12. REPORTS FROM REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES
To receive reports, if any, from City Council representatives on Outside Bodies (reports attached if available).
13. WARD REPORTS FROM CHICHESTER CITY COUNCILLORS
To receive reports, if any, from City Councillors about matters affecting their wards (reports attached if available).
14. REPORTS FROM CHICHESTER DISTRICT AND WEST SUSSEX COUNTY COUNCIL’S WARD MEMBERS
To receive reports from Chichester division members of West Sussex County Council and from Chichester ward members of Chichester District Council, if they consider it to be appropriate (reports attached if available).
To answer questions (if any) from members of Council pursuant to Standing Order 8.
16. PUBLIC BODIES (ADMISSION TO MEETINGS) ACT 1960
Proposal to resolve that the public and press be excluded from this meeting for agenda item 17 due to the nature of the business to be transacted, namely confidential business matters.
17. THE MARKET HOUSE – CHANGES TO THE HEADS OF TERMS LEASE FOR UNIT 4
Town Clerk to report (Confidential documents attached)
Meeting to return to public session
18. COMMON SEAL
The filming, photographing and recording of City Council meetings is now permitted by those members of the press and public attending. This includes the use of mobile devices by those using social media. It would be appreciated if anyone who wishes to do this could let the Chairman know before the meeting commences.
However, these provisions will not apply on occasions where the press and public are excluded from the meeting when confidential matters are discussed.
It is requested that discretion is exercised and nothing done to disrupt or distract the meeting in any way. The Chairman will reserve the right to request that filming/recording ceases if it is having a detrimental effect upon the meeting. If you do not wish to be filmed then please let the Chairman know so that alternative arrangements can be made.