The minutes of this meeting are presented below.
You can also download a PDF copy of the minutes here: Minutes – Planning and Conservation Committee – 3 April 2019
MINUTES OF THE PLANNING AND CONSERVATION COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON WEDNESDAY 3 April 2019 AT 5.30PM
- Councillor Dempster
- Councillor Dignum
- Councillor M Evans
- Councillor Joy
- Councillor Keyworth (Vice-Chairman)
- Councillor Plowman
- The Deputy Mayor (Councillor Tupper)
- Councillor P Evans
- Councillor Sharp
- The Mayor (Councillor Bell)
- Councillor Kilby (Chairman)
- Councillor Galloway
- Planning Adviser
- Mayoral/Administrative Assistant
- Councillor Jeremy Hunt, West Sussex County Council
- Mr Paul Jackson-Cole, WSCC, (for Item 7)
- Mr Michael Horton, WSCC (for Item 8)
- Councillor Dempster
In the absence of the Chairman, the Vice-Chairman took the Chair.
134. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
As recorded above.
RESOLVED that the Minutes of the meeting held on 6 March 2019 having been printed and
circulated were signed by the Vice-Chairman as a correct record.
136. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST BY MEMBERS OF THE COMMITTEE IN MATTERS ON THE AGENDA FOR THIS MEETING.
Councillor Dignum as member of Chichester District Council, declared a Personal Interest.
Councillor Plowman as a member of Chichester District Council and as a member of the Chichester Conservation Area Advisory Committee declared a Personal Interest.
137. MATTERS ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was noted that any matters arising from the previous minutes were included on the Agenda.
138. PLANNING CONTRAVENTIONS
There were no items to report.
139. APPLICATIONS FOR PLANNING PERMISSION
There were no planning applications to report.
140. PRESENTATION BY MR PAUL JACKSON-COLE, WEST SUSSEX COUNTY COUNCIL ON CHICHESTER’S GROWTH DEAL WITH REGARDS TO ROADS/TRANSPORT AND THE NORTHERN AND SOUTHERN GATEWAY
Councillor Plowman, as a member of Southern Gateway+, declared a Personal Interest in this item.
The Chairman introduced Mr Jackson-Cole, Growth Programme Delivery Manager at West Sussex County Council, to the meeting. Mr Jackson-Cole, with the aid of a visual presentation, addressed the Committee. He gave an overview of the proposals for the Chichester Growth Deal – Shared Priorities and explained the West Sussex Plan and Economic Plan. The key projects were:
- Chichester City Vision – priority interactions, that, through WSCC and CDC working together would enable key projects identified in the Vision (2017) to progress.
- Northern and Southern Gateways – enhance these key gateways to the City and deliver a mixed use development to include office, retail, residential and leisure uses.
- Gigabit – ambitious proposals to improve digital connectivity in Chichester.
The deal would focus on specific priority projects to bring local improvements for West Sussex residents, businesses and visitors.
Full details of the Growth Deal can be viewed via the West Sussex County Council Website.
Mr Jackson-Cole invited questions from members and a number of issues were raised including, provision for level crossings, social care and health providers, retention/replanting of trees, commence including music and arts.
Mr Jackson-Cole was thanked by the Chairman for his informative presentation.
After discussion it was RESOLVED to note the current situation.
141. WEST SUSSEX COUNTY COUNCIL ROAD SPACE AUDIT
The Chairman introduced Mr Horton, Parking Strategy Team at WSCC, to the meeting. Mr Horton then gave a detailed presentation, with the aid of a visual display, to the Committee.
He explained that West Sussex County Council had piloted a new approach that sought to create a longer-term plan to meet current and future on-street parking demands. This plan would define how its approach to parking could help support alternative travel solutions (bus, rail, cycle, walk etc), infrastructure improvements, safety considerations and development for example: housing.
He said that working in partnership with Chichester District Council, the County Council had undertaken a ‘Road Space Audit’ for Chichester. The audit provided survey data that allowed it to understand the current parking demand, both on and off-street, and how it is used.
Mr Horton invited questions from members and a discussion took place. Several points were raised including residents parking, commuter parking, provision for the elderly and those with disabilities.
A copy of the Road Space Audit document is available to view on line via the West Sussex County Council website or alternatively a paper copy is available at Chichester Library in Tower Street. It is aimed to encourage as many people as possible to comment on the audit so they may assist in the decision making process.
Mr Horton was thanked by the Chairman for his informative presentation.
RESOLVED to note the current situation.
142. STREET NAMING AND NUMBERING – TO CONSIDER AN APPLICATION RECEIVED FROM ELBERRY PROPERTIES LIMITED FOR THREE NEW DETACHED HOUSES
(i) Applicant: Elberry Properties Limited
- Plot 1: Maple House, Lavant Road, Chichester. PO19 5RG
- Plot 2: The Oaks, Lavant Road, Chichester. PO19 5RG
Naming Rationale: Maple Tree in front garden of house, The Oak trees in front of house.
The Chairman read to the Committee an email received from the Property Manager explaining that Royal Mail were happy with the proposals. However, the Committee were not in favour of the house number being omitted. It was therefore put to the vote and RESOLVED that the following names and numbering be proposed:
- Plot 1: Maple House, 18a Lavant Road, Chichester. PO19 5RG
- Plot 2: The Oaks, 18b Lavant Road, Chichester. PO19 5RG
- Plot 3: unchanged at Woodpeckers, 18 Lavant Road, Chichester PO19 5RG
The Property Manager would be advised accordingly.
Post meeting note: An email has been received from the developer appealing against the decision, this item will therefore be referred to the next meeting of the Committee for further discussion.
143. APPEAL DECISION
13 Parchment Street, Chichester. PO19 3DA
RESOLVED to note that the appeal had been dismissed
144. MINUTES OF SUB-COMMITTEES AND WORKING GROUPS
The Minutes of the Planning Delegation Sub-Committee meeting held on 14 March 2019 having been previously circulated were approved and adopted.
145. DATE OF NEXT MEETING
Wednesday 22 May 2019 at 5.30pm.
The meeting closed at 7.22pm