The minutes of this meeting are presented below.
You can also download a PDF copy of the minutes here: Minutes – Planning and Conservation Committee – 6 March 2019
MINUTES OF THE PLANNING AND CONSERVATION COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON WEDNESDAY 6 MARCH 2019 AT 5.30PM
- Councillor Dempster
- Councillor Dignum
- Councillor Joy
- Councillor Keyworth
- Councillor Kilby (Chairman)
- Councillor Plowman
- The Mayor (Councillor Bell)
- Deputy Mayor (Councillor Tupper)
- Councillor M Evans
- Councillor Galloway
- Planning Adviser
- Property Manager
- Mayoral/Administrative Assistant
- Councillor Jeremy Hunt, West Sussex County CouncilIor
119. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
As recorded above.
RESOLVED that the Minutes of the meeting held on 6 February 2019 having been printed and
circulated were signed by the Chairman as a correct record.
121. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST BY MEMBERS OF THE COMMITTEE IN MATTERS ON THE AGENDA FOR THIS MEETING
Councillors Dignum and Kilby, as members of Chichester District Council, declared a Personal Interest. Councillor Plowman as a member of Chichester District Council and as a member of the Chichester Conservation Area Advisory Committee declared a Personal Interest
122. MATTERS ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was noted that any matters arising from the previous minutes were included on the Agenda.
However, Councillor Kilby updated the Committee on the Chichester Sustainable Transport Package Study and Chichester Vision Study meeting and referred to an email received from Councillor Sharp which outlined the matters discussed at that meeting.
123. PLANNING CONTRAVENTIONS
There were no items to report.
124. APPLICATIONS FOR PLANNING PERMISSION
There were no planning applications to report.
125. PRESENTATION BY MR PAUL JACKSON-COLE, WEST SUSSEX COUNTY COUNCIL ON CHICHESTER’S GROWTH DEAL WITH REGARDS TO ROADS/TRANSPORT AND THE NORTHERN AND SOUTHERN GATEWAY
The Chairman said that Mr Jackson-Cole had been unable to attend the meeting and this item would therefore be deferred to the next meeting of the Committee on 3 April 2019.
126. NOTIFICATION FROM OVING PARISH COUNCIL OF WEST SUSSEX COUNTY COUNCIL’S PROPOSAL TO WITHDRAW THE SATURDAY SERVICE OF THE 85 AND 85A BUS ROUTE FROM CHICHESTER TO ARUNDEL
The Chairman referred to an email received from Oving Parish Council giving details of the proposal to withdraw the Saturday Service of the 85 and 85A bus route from Chichester to Arundel. The reasons given were the under-use of the Service. However, it was noted that a request had been received for Parish Council’s to help with funding; although the Committee felt
that further statistics were required to justify this request. After some discussion it was agreed that, pending further statistical information, this matter be referred to the Finance Committee for further consideration. RESOLVED that after receipt of statistical information, this matter be referred to the Finance Committee for further consideration.
Post Meeting Note: The statistical information has now been received and is appended to the minutes.
Note – 26 July 2021 – this data is no longer available
127. WEST SUSSEX COUNTY COUNCIL ROAD SPACE AUDIT
The conclusions of the Road Space Audit were summarised and an overview given of the Parking Management Plan which the RSA had informed. The themes and suggested actions to address the City’s parking issues were outlined and discussed. Concern was expressed about the availability of parking for residents and the ratio of residential parking permits to permits available for commuters. Further concern was raised that demand for parking may exceed supply, and that cost may be an issue for residents and commuters.
Councillor Hunt addressed the Committee and was requested to provide further information about the Road Space Audit to City Council officers. In the meantime, Mr Miles Davey, Parking Manager, West Sussex County Council, would be invited to attend the next meeting of the Committee to update members.
RESOLVED that this item be deferred for further discussion and that Mr Miles Davey be invited to attend the next meeting of the Committee on 3 April 2019.
128. LOCAL BUILDINGS LIST – HISTORIC BUILDINGS OF LOCAL INTEREST
The Planning Adviser, with the aid of a visual presentation, gave an overview of the sites on the Local Buildings List in the south of the city.
It was proposed to request that the following be removed from the Local List:
(i) Chichester Bus Garage
(ii) The former Chichester High School for Girls
(iii) Chichester Magistrates Court
(iv) The Railway Station (excluding the Signal Box)
After discussion, the Committee were of the opinion that the following buildings should be broughtto the next Committee for further discussion:
(i) The Planetarium
(ii) The Richmond Arms
(iii) The new canal building
(iv) The Railway Station Signal Box
129. STREET NAMING AND NUMBERING – TO CONSIDER AN APPLICATION RECEIVED FROM CRAYFERN HOMES FOR A NEW DEVELOPMENT OFF CLAY LANE
(i) Applicant Crayfern Homes CC/17/03117/FUL
Proposed Name/Numbering 1-26 (consec no.13) Humphrey Place
The proposed name is in memory of the previous landowner who passed away during the Land acquisition process.
The Property Manager was in attendance to answer members questions.
After discussion, it was RESOLVED to support the name Humphrey Place.
130. NOTIFICATION OF PLANNING APPEAL AGAINST REFUSAL OF HOUSEHOLDER APPLICATION
17 Oak Close
Chichester, PO19 3AJ
Proposed two-storey side and rear extensions and single storey rear extension with various alterations and additions
RESOLVED to note the appeal had been lodged.
131. MINUTES OF SUB-COMMITTEES AND WORKING GROUPS
The Minutes of the Planning Delegation Sub-Committee meeting held on 20 February 2019 having been previously circulated were approved and adopted.
132. ITEMS TO BE INCLUDED ON AGENDA FOR NEXT MEETING
• Presentation by Mr Paul Jackson-Cole, West Sussex County Council, on Chichester’s Growth Deal with regards to roads/transport and the Northern and Southern Gateway
• West Sussex County Council Road Space Audit – Mr Miles Davis, Parking Manager to be invited to attend the next Committee
133. DATE OF NEXT MEETING
Wednesday 3 April 2019 at 5.30pm.
The meeting closed at 6.30pm